Sometimes it hurts to be a beautiful cripple!

Welcome to my life. I was diagnosed with polio when I was 15 months old but have had an absolutely wonderful and full life. God has blessed me with a wonderful husband, Wes and three beautiful children-Melissia married to Josh, Weslee married to Zach, and Marshall who will be married someday to someone just as fabulous. Weslee and Zach have presented us with the most beautiful and smartest grandchild in the entire world, Shiloh Celeste.
On Sunday afternoon, June 6, 2010 my world suddenly hit a brick wall when I found a lump in my breast. Life changing doesn't even begin to describe where my life would go next.

Friday, June 18, 2010

CRUTCHES, WHEELS...WOOPS A LUMP IN THE ROAD!

This will be my first post so it will be long with lots of information to catch everyone up and then maybe I can be diligent about keeping everyone abreast (no pun intended) on updates.
Sunday June 6 found me in my usual spot on the bed reading the Sunday paper with my wonderful husband sleeping in the living room. I had a need to scratch my left breast and as I did I felt a considerably large lump. Of course I reached to see if there was a matching lump on the right side because maybe that was supposed to be there. Funny I knew better as I had done self exams many times before. No lump on the right side, felt again on the left, yep it was still there and felt scarry. Really wasn't too concerned but then of course my mind began to race and I remembered my Mom had found her lump at exactly my age, 59.
By this time Wes had gotten up and was getting ready to go to church for band practice. I mentioned it to him and of course he recommend I get it checked out (of course I had thought of that already but he confirmed)
Monday morning I began to call Dr. Maddens office and the ball began to roll. This is when I realized that God was definitely at the helm of this ship because the ball rolled very fast which was very uncommon for Midland. I was in the Drs. office by 2:00 that afternoon and a mammography and sonogram were scheduled for Thurs. afternoon. The Dr. confirmed that yes I wasn't crazy and yes there was a rather large lump in my left breast and it had not disappeared overnight.
In my anxiousness I called my dear nurse friend Laurie Fitzgerald and wanted to know what questions to ask and to help me not feel so unprepared. Laurie volunteered to give me a "practice sonogram" on Wed. morning. Melissia and I met her at the college Wednesday morning and Laurie began her work. Started off fairly positive but as she began to move around the lump it very much took on a life all its own. Seems everything the lump was not suppose to be it was. Laurie volunteered to go the the imaging center and "line up" her friends to take care of me.
On Thursday morning Wes, Melissia and I went in for the mammogram and sonogram. Everyone was wonderful and helpful. The mammogram showed the lump in all its glory very clearly and the sonogram did as well. Withing minutes of my sonogram the girls went to bring Dr. Edwards in the read the films and talk to us. He confirmed what Laurie had feared and did a great job explaining things to come. God went ahead again and cancelled two appointments so that Dr. Edwards could do the biopsy right then. Preped, on the table, and he requested that I put my arm over my head and hold very still while he took 4 pieces of the tumor out with a "gun". I wasn't scared of the pain of the needle but did wonder how the heck I was suppose to keep my arm in that position since it did not do that anymore because it was worn out after walking on crutches for 57 years. It was at that moment I fell on my face before my God and said you hold this arm God because I can't. I pretty much have been on my face since that moment as I watched Him take over and my arm never hurt and I was very still just as the Dr. ordered.
The biopsy was confirmed and Dr. Madden called to tell me the diagnosis of breast cancer. As I have said many times in my life, "I thought I would vomit, but I didn't". My mind began to roll with many questions, anxiousness, inconveniences, and of course (as my personality) a plan of action----forward through the fog!
On the Thursday I had called my children to share the news, Weslee and Marshall were at the church in Colleyville and of course were upset and very afraid. The pastors wife ran to get a woman in the church who was a 7 year cancer survivor, Karen Osbourne. Turns out her husband is a prominent cardilogist in Dallas and had found the "best surgeon and oncologist" in the area. Dr. Mary Brian,who is a surgeon and Dr. Heidi Jordan, who is the oncologist. Both practices are faith based and neither are embarresed to tell of God's healing power. Karen answered so many questions for the kids and volunteered to send us information about the Drs. and meet with us to answer any questions we might have.
I called both Drs. on Monday morning and by that afternoon I had an appointment with Dr. Brian on Tuesday and with Dr. Jordan on Friday. Once again, God continued to push things through the medical system.
Meanwhile Weslee and our beautiful granddaughter Shiloh had come in to surprise us and it was a very welcomed distraction.
All day Monday was spent gathering medical records and film of the mammogram and biopsy reports to carry to the Drs. in Dallas.
Tuesday morning began our journey to Dallas and a long week of drs. and life changing decisions and information.
Met with surgeon on Tuesday afternoon and she explained that the mass was a very typical type of breast cancer developing in the milk ducts and forming a mass close by. Very fast growing but that kind responds well to treatment. She was very concerned about breast reconstruction and recommended I meet with the plastic surgeon and talk with a genetic counsler about the gene for breast cancer.
Wednesday we met with plastic surgeon and he convinced me with telling me the involvement of breast reconstruction that crutches and building boobs DO NOT MIX. I would have to be off my crutches for two weeks and would require 4 additional surgeries besides the initial breast removal. I am not attached to these boobs and am not opposed to wearing breast prosthesis after the surgery. No one but Wes will know and of course the other 100's of people who will read this blog. If anyone decides to announce this you will have to deal with me and if you are a friend you know that sometimes that's not fun! However, all punishment will be carried out with the love of Jesus.
The genetic counceling was very informative but not for me because I did not meet requirements and because of that it would have been out of pocket, $3300. The Dr. recommended I not do it. We of course were appreciative.
Next stop was today with the oncologist and perhaps was the most informative! The girls went with Wes and I and believe me it took all of us to understand and comprehend all the information. Dr. Jordan was wonderful as were all the drs. here. She explained about a lumpectomy vs. a bilateral mastectomy (both boobs removed). The lumpectomy would require radiation for sure and that would burn me under my arm which would make it difficult for me to use my crutches. She said the mastectomy would not require radiation and it is really pretty simple to remove the breasts and the recovery is not extensive. If the right breast was left I would have about a 12% higher rate of having a reaccurance in it. That was too high for me and my peace of mind would not be there. Long story short, (thats a laugh since this is already an epistle anyway), Dr. Jordan was the deciding factor to go ahead and remove both breasts. She ended the office visit with a prayer for healing and peacefulness. She was incredible and a real gift from God. I feel very peaceful about the decision and so does Wes and the rest of the family.
We will return to Midland tomorrow and Monday I will call and schedule surgery, Tuesday I will have blood tests, CT scan and a bone scan.
All of this to say that my God is good, all the time! He has orchistrated this whole adventure from the beginning and will until the end. He WILL have the victory and will carry me through. I have asked to be used and for Him to teach me what I need to learn from this journey. Our family has already become closer and will travel this journey together arm in arm (arm in crutch if you will). I praise Him every day for our family and our Crestview family, and our Midland friends who have all been wonderful and want to help in every way. I pray that my story will be an inspiration to everyone who hears it and that I may be used for His service and to bring others to Him. I want to be able to say "Thank you Lord for the journey". His strength will be shown in my weekness!

18 comments:

  1. I love you mommy! You are an inspiration to all of us, especially me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Susan.. this is such a neat way to reveal your story that is unraveling... as well as a great way for you to vent... I will be praying for you and your awesome family! I luv u and let me know if I (or Ryan) can do absolutely anything to help in your time of need... God will show himself through you and your journey!

    Luv,
    Amanda (Young) Hughes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan-- you and your family are amazing examples of faithfulness. Please know that the Kails are praying for all of you and that Gods hands may be blessings on many more through your keystrokes on this blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats MY Mommy!!! I love you so much! Your words are a treasure to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and your family! If there is ANYTHING we can do for you, Weslee & Zach know how to contact us here. Not sure what help we can be, but will be more than willing to do what ever it is you need. God bless you. Shirlee Matthews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you truly are amazing! Thank you for being so open for the Lord to use you. He is going to do great things through you! Continuing to pray for complete healing for you!

    -Brittany Wertz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a breast cancer survivor and I can say "Thank You Lord for this journey". It is amazing to me the peace that God provides us when we need it most. I don't even know you but from reading this you will do great. Thanks Weslee for the link to this I will be following and I know that God will bless your family through this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know your son, Marshall, and even though I've never met you, spoken to, nor have I seen you... You are the most beautiful person I have ever had the honor of coming across. I am completely awestruck by your journey and even more so by your strength and love for Christ. Despite the fact that you're almost a complete stranger, you are such an inspiration to me. You have my prayers, best wishes and love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an inspiring story of the Lord's faithfulness. Thank you for your transparency and inspiration! The Corley family is praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your story and I pray along with you that God will be glorified! Praying for you and your family.

    Jackie Harmon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Suz. I know how much you 'love' jounaling.. =) so I will just say 'thank you' for taking the effort and time to blog. We will walk with this alongside of you, sister. What beautiful and inspiring words ...You are such a ROCK and point us all to the glory of our Father ...and our HEALER. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always been amazed by your strength and tenacity, which are the very attributes God has been developing in you to help catapult you over this ‘bump’ in the road. I am so proud to call you my friend. You are, this very moment, being carried before the very throne of God as the twenty-four elders hold up before Him the twenty-four golden bowls containing the prayers of the saints, and we know that He has already answered our prayers. Through the days ahead, rest in His arms as he wraps a warm blanket of friends (seeking to please Him through serving you) around your shoulders. Hold that warm feeling next to your heart and celebrate the gift of His love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you dearly, you are a second mom to me. Know that your words, your faith and your love is something that is unparalleled. I love you and how the Lord is using you! 143
    Lolly, Ben and Evie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, you don't know me, but I am Dianne Davis' sister-in-law, Pam. My husband, Mike, officiated at Drew & Lauren's wedding. I am so touched by your story and wanted you know that we, our church, and friends here in Henderson are praying for you. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hang in there Cuz! Everyone in Black Creek (and Madison Hills B.C.) is praying for you and the family. Love you all. Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Susan, you don't know me, but I am Daniella's sister. I just became 'friends' with Marshall on facebook and saw this link to your blog on his wall. :) I want to tell you that you sound like a very strong woman! Your story is very touching and am glad that you are sharing it with others. Surely someone out there can use your will power towards their own encouragement. Our family will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Luck - we love you and your family (excluding the outside dog that wants to eat us) and we know God will be with you from start to finish!! Ray

    ReplyDelete