Sometimes it hurts to be a beautiful cripple!

Welcome to my life. I was diagnosed with polio when I was 15 months old but have had an absolutely wonderful and full life. God has blessed me with a wonderful husband, Wes and three beautiful children-Melissia married to Josh, Weslee married to Zach, and Marshall who will be married someday to someone just as fabulous. Weslee and Zach have presented us with the most beautiful and smartest grandchild in the entire world, Shiloh Celeste.
On Sunday afternoon, June 6, 2010 my world suddenly hit a brick wall when I found a lump in my breast. Life changing doesn't even begin to describe where my life would go next.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Home again Home again jiggady jog

We got home from Dallas last night about 9:00 and were so ready to sleep and restore our bodies from all the medical knowledge we are acquiring.
Met with surgeons nurse that tells you all about surgery and what to expect. She is a breast cancer survivor so can give hints as to what will be coming. Pray that the limp nodes will not be numerous as that will of course interfer with my mobility and use of arm for a while. Nothing I can't overcome but I am sure it will slow me down for a while and quite honestly I don't have time to slow down. She was so positive and helpful. Some volunteers in the area make heart pillows for all the breast cancer patients to use while you heal, goes over the breast area to cushion against bumps and seat belts-so cute and a great idea. Again I feel loved by total strangers!
The nurse also told me I could wear no makeup and no jewelry and no contacts for the surgery. That I certainly did not want to hear. Yes, vain I am and vain I shall remain! I must wear my eyebrows and mascara. I don't know what those doctors think a girl is suppose to do if she can't be beautiful for surgery and of course for the visitors afterwards!
I did all pre-op at the hospital. The hospital is beautiful. Small and all private rooms. They cater in the meals and will even feed my sweet Wes. The staff was wonderful and so attentive-I feel so blessed to have surgery there. I will check in at 6:45 on Friday, July 2 (with eyebrows and mascara of course), surgery at 8:30 and will probably stay until Sunday if all goes well. They even said I could come back to Midland immediately if I wanted to, but we will hang around for a couple of days. Got the lesson on drain tubes and all of that good stuff. Stay tuned for discussion on that as I learn how to empty them and measure the contents. Gross I know, but all I know is that my goal is to get to 30cc soon so that I can get those suckers out and get on with the process.
Went back to work today and it felt so good to have a normal day with all great friends and my sweet customers who I will miss for a while. I am so blessed with a great place to work and wonderful customers who have such positive things to say and will be lifting me in prayers as well.
The mail was full of cards and well wishes for a speedy recovery, funny how we take those things for granted so much until we are on the receiving end and realize each one means so much and will be read more than once. So many beautiful people God has blessed me with and I am grateful for each one.
I close this day with a very humbling feeling and a prayer for strength for the days ahead. Let me be the warrior He has raised me to be, to fight a war with an unseen foe. I will be victorious and will live to fight another day. Lord you are my guide and I long for you to be able to say, well done my good and faithful servant!
God is good---------all the time! susan

1 comment:

  1. You are a total inspiration. My prayers for you are being lifted up daily. Love ya

    ReplyDelete