Sometimes it hurts to be a beautiful cripple!

Welcome to my life. I was diagnosed with polio when I was 15 months old but have had an absolutely wonderful and full life. God has blessed me with a wonderful husband, Wes and three beautiful children-Melissia married to Josh, Weslee married to Zach, and Marshall who will be married someday to someone just as fabulous. Weslee and Zach have presented us with the most beautiful and smartest grandchild in the entire world, Shiloh Celeste.
On Sunday afternoon, June 6, 2010 my world suddenly hit a brick wall when I found a lump in my breast. Life changing doesn't even begin to describe where my life would go next.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bald is NOT beautiful!

I have to say, today was one of the most traumatic days of my entire life. My hair has continued to fall out over the past few days and was beginning to be scary-never knew if I would have enough to comb. Anyway, my sweet hair stylist, Danette, and a I decided to go ahead and take the rest of it to stop the unknown. It was, I must say very emotional, but with her help I got through it and my bald head is way UGLY. My wig is really cute though, somewhat of a different style but still cute. Strange how we women are so tied up in our hair and self image-and no I'm not one of those that thinks it is the fault of the TV or Hollywood-just feel like it is a part of us that God put in us to care about what we look like. I must admit I have a bit too much vanity and I was a bit attached to my hair but I am sure I will get just as attached to this new me.

As my dear friend Becky McCraney said this morning you need to just get rid of it and mourn the loss of your hair and move on. Great philosophy-believe me I am mourning but, "This too shall pass." I know that in the days to come hair will be less of a priority and just my health will become more important. Hair is a small price to pay for getting rid of this invader inside of me that must be stopped. Chemo just kills everything in its path, good and bad-just hope it finds all the bad and I am sure that it will.

Start another round of chemo on Tuesday so I am prepared for the aftermath. I hopefully will be better prepared this time-I can do it! This is certainly one of those times when I can honestly say,"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Ready to be strengthened Lord-You must carry me because I certainly feel weak and very vulnerable. What would I do without the Lord to call on in all times, trouble and good times! I'm calling Lord-hear me.

God is good-----------all the time! susan

3 comments:

  1. I have decided that this change will only highlight those beautiful and kind blue eyes of yours, suz. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog from Weslee's post on FB. My heart is breaking for you right now, because I know it has to be hard going through something like this. Our best friends daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia back in April of '09 and just finished up her last round of chemo back in May of this year and got to ring the bell for her completion and remission. Her hair is finally growing back and she is the most precious little 2 year old!
    I know that God will give you the strength to get through this tough time and I will continue to pray for your strength. I will also pray that soon enough your hair will come back in and until then that you will be able to embrace your new style as hard as it might be.
    Much love sent your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Susan!
    I heard how Marshall wanted to shave his head as well to show you his support and love. I thought it was a nice gesture. But what really made me happy was how you told him not to because he has an ugly head! That made me laugh so hard! I was like, "Heck ya, that's my Mrs. Susan!" (And he does have an ugly head, we all know it!)

    I have always loved you and Wes, y'all are practically my second parents, but my admiration and respect has grown even more as of late. I love you dearly! Oh, and if you want, I can fly out to Midland and we can go shop for wigs together. I've always wanted one. I suggest you get an afro like mine. I'm gonna go for a brown mullet with highlights. What do you think? :)

    ReplyDelete