Sometimes it hurts to be a beautiful cripple!

Welcome to my life. I was diagnosed with polio when I was 15 months old but have had an absolutely wonderful and full life. God has blessed me with a wonderful husband, Wes and three beautiful children-Melissia married to Josh, Weslee married to Zach, and Marshall who will be married someday to someone just as fabulous. Weslee and Zach have presented us with the most beautiful and smartest grandchild in the entire world, Shiloh Celeste.
On Sunday afternoon, June 6, 2010 my world suddenly hit a brick wall when I found a lump in my breast. Life changing doesn't even begin to describe where my life would go next.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

I GOT BOOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went today and got fitted for prosthetics which is just a fancy word for fake bosoms. Finally feel like my clothes hang right and I even hold myself up straighter. Weird how the body gets so used to something that when you take it away your whole posture changes. Anyway it is good to look somewhat normal again. Love it.

Yesterday was crazy getting the ecocardiogram at the hospital. I just know one thing, I am so glad I did not have surgery it that hospital cause things are so crazy with all of the construction. First we went to the wrong side of the hospital and had to find our way to the front. Waited in line to get to the valet parking and the lady informed us she could not park our car because the inspection sticker was out of date (way to go hubby, he has been a little busy though). Of course being the kept woman that I am, I had no idea that that was the case. Anyway we proceded to the parking lot across from the hospital and tried to find a parking place in the tiny spaces provided. Found one, got the wheelchair out of the car and began to off road toward the hospital. The curb cuts were from Bible times and are crumbling and the cracks in the sidewalk and road are big enough to fall into. Melissia was afraid she was going to dump me in the road (I was too), so she was scared and of course we got tickled and began to laugh in our fear of an accident. A sweet man waiting at the bus stop yelled "wait lady and let me help you, you are scareing me". Anyway he took me across the street and we proceded up a long ramp into the hospital. We finally found the temporary admissions desk and the lady handed us one of those vibrater things like they have in restaurants and said I will get to you "shortly". Went to find a place to sit since there is no waiting room in all the construction and found two empty chairs by the window and as Melissia began to sit down this janitor man rolled up his cart and while Melissia's hand was on the chair he picked it up and said these chairs don't belong here and proceded to take both of them and put them on his cart and roll off as he muttered "I wonder who left those there". We of course got histerical because that was the funniest thing ever and finally found chairs in the snack area. So far this had been a trip fit for America's Funniest Videos. Finally our vibrater rattled and I had to fill out tons of paper work to be admitted to the hospital. They finally came for me and we were taken up to the fourth floor to the cardiac unit, where we were placed in a room, handed a gown and said wait for the eco man. He came in and explained the procedure and put that cold slimy gook on my bosoms that weren't there and did a sonogram of my heart. When he got to the bottom and had to move the towel he had over me, he slung it up to get under it and it hit me right in the face, towel. slimy gook and all. Now I have slime all over my face and am trying with everything in me not to roll off the bed with laughter. The eco took all of 10 min. after 1 hr. and 15 min. wait to get in. We proceeded out of that crazy hospital and off roaded back to the parking lot passed the lady who wouldn't park our car and stood there eating her T n T donuts in the shade. What a trip. I had my surgery in the best hospital in Dallas and was glad it was not in good ol' Midland Memorial Hospital. Sure made for a good story and a great day of laughter!

Meanwhile I prepare for Chemo to start at 1:00 Monday afternoon after my blood work and some training. I will be so glad when that first treatment is behind so I can at least quit speculating what it will be like. I do know though that every treatment might be different, I am just ready to get it over with and be somewhat normal again.

After all that, I leave you with these precious words of Isaiah:
Lord God, I revel in Your promise that You will go before me and make the rough places smooth; You will shatter the doors of bronze and cut through their iron bars.
And You will give me the treasures of darkness, the hidden wealth of secret places, in order that I may know that it is You, the Lord, the God of Israel, who calls me by my name. (Isa.43:2-3)
My Lord, You are a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you (Ps. 9:9-10). Lord go forth with me and hold my hand, I know you call me by name, I hear you!

God is good--------------all the time! susan

No comments:

Post a Comment